Do you have a relative who is approaching their golden years? One thing you or they may have noticed is that the older a person gets, the more things cease their normal, previously expected function. In other words, nothing works the way it used to. This may even apply to you, rather than someone else. You may forget where you placed your keys, have trouble recalling someone’s name, etc. You might start wondering if you’re suffering from memory loss or simply having a “senior moment.”
Before you start assuming the absolute worst-case scenario, stop! Anxiety and stress can actually be the cause of some of your issues. Stress can actually affect your body in surprising ways, no matter how much older and wiser you are.
Meditation improves seniors’ health by helping to keep stress at bay. If you or a loved one is approaching retirement age, or are already there, take into consideration the following ways in which meditation can improve health.
The Benefits of Meditation
Particularly for those enjoying their golden years, there are many benefits to be received through meditation. These include the following:
- Ward off bereavement, disability, or chronic illness-related stress.
- Stimulate mental ability and awareness. Even more effective than doing a crossword puzzle, meditation can work wonders.
- The area of the brain responsible for happiness or feeling good is stimulated.
- Oxygen intake increases during regulated breathing. Your immune system is boosted as a result. This helps people fight off bacteria, viruses, and more.
- Receive relief from symptoms of digestive problems.
- Benefit all the organs in your body courtesy of improved oxygen and blood circulation thanks, in part, to meditative deep breathing.
- Your memory can be boosted.
Meditation – How to Do It
For retirement age individuals in particular, meditation can be a beneficial practice. Into the daily routine of your aging loved one, help them find ways to incorporate meditation. It doesn’t have to be expensive or difficult, thankfully. To help breathe your way to mindfulness and a calmer sense of being, consider following these suggestions:
- During your meditation session, run water to help wash away stress and anxiety.
- Deep breathing.
- Use crystals or gemstones (you’ll be able to find information as to how to do this, quite easily, online).
- Be guided by technology (meditation guides are available on the Internet).
- Reserve your “happy place” for meditation and relaxing.
- Keep it simple. It doesn’t have to be time-consuming or complicated.
- Make meditation an everyday priority.
Hidden Meadows On The Ridge Promotes Mindfulness, Meditation, and Wellness Programs
At Hidden Meadows On The Ridge, do we provide senior respite care, senior personal care, and our SHINE® Memory Care? Absolutely. But we certainly don’t stop there!
Numerous community members have discovered a happier, healthier way of life through our Dimensions Health and Fitness program. This holistic wellness program is designed to improve health across the following aspects:
With nutritious meals, transportation, housekeeping, entertainment, socialization activities, maintenance, and more all provided, your aging loved one will be able to enjoy retirement the way it was meant to be.